Monday, October 18, 2010

Aviation At McMurdo

 One of the things I really enjoy at McMurdo is watching the flights land and take off. I am an aviation fan and am always looking outside whenever I hear a plane or helicopter. This is a photo of the two baslers out on the ice runway. They are converted DC-3 planes that have no hydraulic lines for maneuverablility and can therefore be used at South Pole in colder conditions than the C-130 planes. The minimum temp for landing a Basler is -55 degrees F.
 Here is a photo of a C-17 at the ice runway with the basler planes off to the right. I got to watch from my work office the C-17 take off from the ice runway and then bank to the left as it headed off to Christchurch.

Here is a photo of the C-17 with a loader taking out the cargo. The C-17 always keeps its engines running while passengers and cargo are off loaded. They have workers who make sure the passengers stay well away from the engines as they depart.

No comments:

Post a Comment